Classified Advertising in the Gazette
Frequently asked questions
The Gazette carries text-only classified advertisements.
Official announcements from University departments and colleges should not be submitted as paid advertisements but should be emailed directly to the Gazette office (email: email@example.com); no charge is made for these. This includes job adverts from Oxford and Cambridge Universities and their constituent colleges. See 'Submitting items for publication' for further details.
We publish advertisements from companies and people advertising services for profit (commercial advertisers), and also from individuals advertising personally and not for profit (private advertisers).
Examples of commercial advertisements
- Renting out property, such as holiday lets or a second property
- Offering tuition in any subject as a professional tutor or trainer
- Offering any kind of professional service (eg cleaning, building, driving, physiotherapy etc)
- Buying/selling goods as a business (eg buying second-hand books, cars etc with the intention of selling them on)
Examples of private advertisements
- Selling your own possessions (eg unwanted furniture, cars, books)
- Selling your current home in order to buy a new one
- Renting out your own home while you're away for a short period
- Renting a room in your own house to a lodger or paying guest
- Seeking a service, such as tutoring or a home help, for your own benefit
- Seeking to buy items for your own use (eg buying books for your own collection or a car to drive yourself)
- Seeking staff to work at a non-profit organisation
These lists are not exhaustive; they aim to give a rough guide. If you are uncertain about which category you fall into, or have any other questions, please contact us.
Please note that if you place an advertisement at the private advertiser rate but your advert relates to commercial activity, we will be unable to run your advert until you have paid the correct amount.
Advertisements must be submitted and paid for online via the University's online shop:
- Click here to visit the online shop for one-off commercial adverts
- Click here to visit the online shop for whole-year commercial adverts
- Click here to visit the online shop for private advertisers
Payment can only be made by credit or debit card; please note that the online shop will transfer you to a secure website to process your transaction. For further information on the security of the site, see here.
Please note that new whole-year advertisers are also required to pay upfront for their whole year's adverts via the online shop.
Once you have placed and paid for your advertisement, you will receive an email notification confirming the transaction.
If you are having any difficulty with the online shop, click here for detailed instructions.
Private adverts and one-off commercial adverts
Your advertisement will be published in the next issue/s of the Gazette for which the deadline has not yet passed: see Publication Dates for the deadline for each issue of the Gazette this term.
The online shop has a specific text box for you to specify the issue/s in which you want your advertisement to appear (eg if you are placing your advertisement three times, you might want it to run in the first issue each month instead of in consecutive issues).
Your advertisement will be published in a minimum of 8 issues during each full term, and a maximum of 34 issues: 11 in Michaelmas term, 10 in Hilary term and 13 in Trinity term.
The options available are:
- 24 issues (1st week to 8th week each term)
- 27 issues (0th week to 8th week each term)
- 34 issues (all available issues)
Your advertisement will be printed in the classification that appears to the editor to be most relevant to your advertisement. If an appropriate classification does not currently exist, your advertisement will be placed in the 'Miscellaneous' section.
Current classifications used:
- Research participants sought
- Antiques bought and sold
- Restoration and conservation of antique furniture
- Sell your unwanted books
- Services offered
- Domestic services
- Tuition offered
- Situations vacant
- Situations sought
- Houses to let
- House swaps
- Flats to let
- Accommodation offered
- Accommodation sought
- Self-catering accommodation
- Office space available
- Holiday lets
- Property for sale
- Items for sale
If your advertisement could fall under more than one classification (eg you are looking for either a house swap or a house to rent), place and pay for your advert and then email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know which section you would prefer.
Advertisements are placed in their classifications in the order in which they were placed and paid for (the earliest-received advertisement being at the top of its classification).
Pictures cannot be included in the Gazette.
Advertisements that break the Terms and Conditions of Acceptance of Advertisements will not be published. It is your responsibility to read the terms and conditions before you place your advert. Submission of an advertisement implies acceptance of our terms and conditions. Note in particular this clause from the terms and conditions:
13. The advertiser warrants:
(i) Not to discriminate against any respondents to an advertisement published in the Gazette on the basis of their gender, sexual orientation, marital or civil partner status, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, disability or age, or pregnancy.
The editor has the right to refuse to publish any advertisement. A refund of payment will be made in this case.
Please make sure that you stick to the word limit. Advertisements which break the word limit will be edited down to fit.
All adverts may be edited to house style (eg '£500 per week' may be changed to '£500 pw' or 'September, October, November and December' may be changed to 'Sept–Dec'.
- private advertisers: click here
- commercial advertisers
Help using the online shop