Finding Gazette content
What content is available on the Gazette website?
- Individual back issues are available on our Back Issues page from 2020/21 onwards.
- Indexes for from 2010/11 onwards are also available on that page; as of 2020/21, these indexes contain hyperlinks to each notice referenced.
- Combined volumes for from 1989 to date, and from 1870 to 1935, are available on the Gazette's archive site, hosted by Figshare and enabled by the Sustainable Digital Scholarship service. More information and individual links are available on our Back Issues page. The missing volumes from 1935 to 1988 have now been digitised and are in the process of being optimised for upload to Figshare; if you need to access one of these files urgently, please email email@example.com.
Searching for content
- The search bar at the top of all Gazette webpages may be used to search this site, but please bear in mind that search results do not include content within individual issues as PDFs are not included in the search
- To help with finding specific items of content, a Content: by subject index is created week by week, to enable easier browsing through all examples of each type of notice during the year. This has been created for each year since 2015/16.
Notes on content changes
- The News Pages, which appeared in the printed Gazette from 20 September 1990, are available in the online Gazette from 13 June 1996 to 3 August 2000 inclusive. (After this date the News Pages were replaced by the newsletter Blueprint; Blueprint has now been replaced by the University Bulletin.)
- With effect from the issue of 20 September 2001, to comply with data protection requirements, certain elements of the Gazette were not made available online. They are:
- in the Council and Main Committees and Congregation sections: notices of the conferment of Degree by Resolution
- in the Notices section: notices of the award of University scholarships and prizes
- in the Examinations and Boards section: notices of Leave to Supplicate for a degree, and notices of oral examinations (viva notices)
- in the College, Halls and Societies section: notices of college elections and prizes.
- Following changes to the content and format of the Gazette from the issue of 23 September 2010, notices of undergraduate University/college prizes were also removed from the print edition, but notices of college elections were restored to the online edition.
- Further changes were made to the online Gazette with effect from the issue of 22 September 2011, to allow current members of the University to log in and view the items not otherwise published online.
- Statistical information on the University published annually in the Gazette is available from 1989, in the form of PDF files. See the section on Statistical information.